COFFMAN MEMORIAL UNION / UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA
MINNEAPOLIS, MN USA
In 1939, Coffman Memorial Union first opened on the east Bank of the University of Minnesota, receiving rave reviews for the elegant “Steamship Modern” character of the building, and its formal prominence on the end of the main campus mall. During the years, numerous renovations were made and much of its original features were covered or neglected. This project became an opportunity to restore and rejuvenate, while recovering character and providing spaces for today’s students, bringing back the Student Union and its value as the center of campus.
The design is built upon revealing the beautiful character of the original facility, and in creating modern elements that would connect with current student life, bringing new energy to this facility that was missing for many years. Restoration, upgrades and additions of contemporary venues all blend into recovering the past, and embracing a new and dynamic social environment for this campus.
*Work completed while at Ellerbe Becket